18:30 - 20:30
The teams will be debating the following motions:
- This House Believes that high levels of pay in the UK are not economically justified and represent a market failure.
- This House Believes that central banks should be looking to move to raise interest rates.
The semifinalists will be:
- Oxford University – Emilia Clark, Katharine Janes, and Iggy Wood
- The University of Warwick -Simon Cremer, Komal Harjani, and Hannah Collins
- The London School of Economics – Jon Lo, Razzaq Fazail, and Sabareesh Ramachandran
- University College London – Jorge González-Gallarza, Michael Ryan, and Pavan Mahbubani
Preliminary rounds were held at each university and the winning team from each progressed to the semifinal.
The judging panel will be:
- Dr Steve Davies, Head of Education, IEA
- Dr Juan Castaneda, Director, Institute of International Monetary Research, University of Buckingham
- Kate Andrews, News Editor, IEA
- James Stillit, Economist, Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy