2 thoughts on “Smoking breaks and lost productivity”

  1. Posted 01/08/2013 at 16:08 | Permalink

    Quote: They are also more likely to be murdered, an outcome that can surely not be attributed to the act of putting tobacco in the mouth and lighting it. (As one wry epidemiologist put it, “Unless the provisional wing of the health education lobby has moved on to a direct action phase, during which they shoot smokers, this association is very unlikely to be causal.”) – End Quote.

    Yes, that is true – but, in the case of smoking BANS – those MAY be responsible for at least some murders, which several have happened in the case of smokers forced off outside premises into dark alleys, corners and recesses because of outdoor smoking bans forcing people to not smoke within so many feet of buildings or on entire properties, parks, sidewalks or near entryways.

    There have also been just a few and real murders committed in the UK and US – where the smoker aggravated the anti-smoking propaganda beleagured non-smoker into a fit of rage over seeing and smelling smoke that the poor smoker has been pummeled or shot to death, which one horribly violent murder in NYC was ignored by the NY Times, yet reported upon by NY Post, as to the smoker being violently murdered by the inflamed anti-smoker who shot them to death at close range for their perceived “crime”, of smoking.

    So it does happen, cause and effect relationship, between virulent anti-smoking propaganda and then eventualized murder of smokers by non-smokers in a pique of rage.

  2. Posted 04/08/2013 at 17:10 | Permalink

    I know that in the UK about 14% of middle class people smoke and 28% of working class people too, I am sure America is similar.

    There was a paper written in 2004 in America by Leonard Beeghley a professor of sociology where he found out the average incomes of working class vs middle class people. The rich, super rich and the poor accounted for 18% leaving 82%. Middle class men averaged 42.5% greater income and women 53.8%. (1)

    While I do not want to go overboard the 20% disparity may imply that working class smokers maybe disproportionately successful.

    Also the only truly objective paper I have come across on smoking and absenteeism is from Australian Statistician Ian Castles (2). His paper from 1989-1990 found that smokers had the least time off from work. It was very close with never smokers, <0.2 of a day but 3 days better than quitters.

    http://www.librarything.com/work/443158

    http://newcatalogue.library.unisa.edu.au/vufind/Record/163655/Holdings

Comments are closed.