Nanny State Index 2023
- The UK is among the most authoritarian countries in Europe for food and soft drink, tobacco, and alcohol regulation
- The UK has the most restrictive tobacco regulation in Europe and the second most restrictive food and drink rules;
- The UK ranks in the middle of the pack, at 13th, for alcohol restrictions, but has among the highest alcohol taxes;
- The UK and Ireland have the most liberal policies on e-cigarettes;
- Overall, the UK is the 11th worst country out of 30 for lifestyle restrictions, up one spot since the last ranking in 2021;
- Turkey is the worst place to eat, drink, smoke and vape in Europe, followed by Norway and Lithuania. Germany, Czechia, and Italy are among the best.