The Institute of Economic Affairs is welcoming applications for an Operations Officer/Receptionist position at the organisation. The role will involve manning the reception desk at the IEA and managing all aspects of our front-of-house service, ensuring the IEA’s office environment and operational systems meet a high level of professionalism. It will also entail managing various operational tasks and assisting all aspects of the IEA when necessary.
The position requires somebody who is highly organised and self-motivated with a passion for continuous improvement and a flexible attitude. If this sounds like you, we hope you will consider this role.
**If you are also passionate about events and event planning, we do hope you will consider adding the role of “Events coordinator” to this position. The salary offered will reflect these additional responsibilities.**
- Manage the front desk and the IEA’s front of house operations with professionalism, maintaining a tidy, welcoming and efficient atmosphere at all times.
- Manage inventory across the organisation including stock levels of office supplies and event materials, ensuring we have sufficient quantities at all times and working to a budget.
- Support the IEA’s hiring efforts: maintain job adverts, process job applications, and assist with new hire orientation.
- Manage the IEA’s publications inventory and coordinate all IEA mailouts of our work.
- Work closely with other department heads to execute the IEA’s events programme.
- Act as first point of contact for deliveries, couriers, and other companies relating to the building’s maintenance and facilities.
- Maintain a working knowledge of the office’s IT set-up and assist with resolving routine issues related to telephones, computers, printers and software.
- Support the IEA’s operations team in all its outputs, including office administration, human resources, IT/database, publications management, and assisting other departments as needed.
- Take the lead on ensuring the office is compliant with all required Health & Safety, and promoting this in the workspace.
Knowledge, Skills & Experience
- Outstanding appreciation and understanding of productivity, responsibility, discretion and integrity.
- Excellent written and verbal communication: articulate and clear in person, on telephone and via email.
- Well-presented and smartly dressed, with a high commitment to professionalism in all aspects.
- Positive and enthusiastic with first-class people skills and an exceptional customer service orientation.
- Superior organisational skills and attention to detail; passion for delivering high quality and timely work; team oriented but with the ability to work independently.
- Entrepreneurial and solution-focused; thrives on challenge while remaining calm under pressure.
- Appreciation for technology, including Microsoft Office literacy and the ability to quickly learn database tools and basic IT skills.
- As with all employees, a willingness to be flexible and versatile and take on additional tasks and responsibilities when appropriate.
- A reasonable grasp of – and preferably commitment to – free market economics.
- An interest and understanding of current affairs.
Salary will be commensurate with experience. The IEA provides exceptional benefits to all employees, including a personal pension which matches up to 5% of salary, death in service, critical illness, group income protection, private medical insurance coverage and 25 paid holidays per annum.
Qualified candidates should submit a CV and a cover letter to [email protected] with attention to Clare Rusbridge, Company Secretary. Your cover letter should express how you learned about the position, your qualifications for the role, and your interest in the IEA mission. No phone calls, please. While we thank all applicants in advance for their interest in this position, we are only able to contact those to whom we can offer an interview.